Sunday, March 31, 2013

Mini Rant

You know what phrase I really just don't like?

"Together we have  60 (or whatever) years experience in the horse business."
It just rubs me the wrong way.

No, you don't. You have however long you have been in the horse business and your partner has however long they've been in the business. A lot of your experience probably overlaps; if it didn't I would be a little scared.

It reminds me of the argument my friend and I would make when we were little and wanted to do something. We'd say: "But mom, I'm 8 and Molly is 9 so together we're 17 years old!"

It seemed like great logic to me then and now I look back and cringe. We certainly did not have the (questionable) wisdom of a 17 year old. Because knowledge doesn't really combine like that.

We had the wisdom of an 8 year old and a 9 year old. I don't understand why these people don't just say "I have X amount of years in the horse business and my partner has X amount of years." I can respect that but unless the two of you are going to be together all the time and make every single decision together, you do not have 60 years experience.

Yes, you have someone you can consult when you have a problem and that's a good thing.
If I was having a horse trained there I would want to know exactly how long the trainer has been practicing.


“The majority of people who have been riding for 5 years… really only have ONE YEAR of experience…REPEATED 5 times” Oh Larry Trocha, I am really starting to like you.



So this is my silly little pet peeve. We're all entitled to a few of those right? Right??

In other news, I really hate April first.

In the craiglist free section I saw this post:


Free Horse

Big Buck Skin Gelding.
8 years old, great with kids.
Can't find hay and can't afford to feed him.
Free to good home only!!!


Well if that doesn't sound like something the kill buyer would snatch up in a heartbeat promising a good home and lots of love, I don't know what does. 


I figured hey, maybe they're trying to do the right thing and get rid of their horse before things get bad. (More likely things have already gotten bad, but it's nice to dream.)

So I called them up. Turns out someone had posted a bunch of free things with that number as an april fools joke.
So whoever you are, you sir/madam are an asshole. That's not fair to the owner of the phone number or all the people who get excited.

2 comments:

  1. ...although, it might be fun to post "Come feed our starving horses at xxxx, warm family entertainment, only $12, bring your own hay."
    The put the address and phone # of some BYB or hoarder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buahaha, now that would be much more amusing!

    ReplyDelete