Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A good horse is never a bad color...

........... But we all have colors we just plain don't like.
I'm guilty of this myself. It's not that I will refuse to go after a horse of a specific color if I feel it's a good horse, it's just that I won't seek them out or spend as much time looking them over because my mind instinctively looks for faults. It's not conscious either, I just have to make myself slow down and really think about why I'm passing them by. Is it just the color or are there real faults?

I know, I know, shame on me.

So what colors don't tickle my fancy?

Cremello and Perlino horses.

I just don't like them... truthfully they kind of weird me out a little with all the pink and blue eyes just aren't my cup of tea. Also the vast majority I've seen have been fugly brutes who were clearly around to produce a high percentage of palomino and buckskin offspring.
Ones I don't like:
I think part of my dislike is because I don't want to constantly be fighting with my horse to keep a fly/shade mask on or worry about sunburn.








I like this next guy more, my jaw dropped when I found out he was only a year and a half old. Geeze, that things massive. Couldn't see if he had impressive but I don't believe so. I still don't care for the color though.


The eyes and pink nose just weird me out, I don't know why. 

I do like this next one however.
Okay, the following horse is here because the bad photoshop cracked me up. 
Are you a statue or a horse?

I'm going with breyer statue...


This is that same horse. 

Okay, color two. I'm not a huge fan of appaloosa coloring. I do like the leopard print pattern and some blanketing.
Here are some I don't like.







Here are some I like






I also just don't care for bald face markings. I think it's the blue eyes again. 
This one isn't so bad




Okay these are just plain unique, I had to share them! 
And here are two I like more.



So what's the point? As much as we try to say "color doesn't matter!" I think deep down we're all a little biased. However, we need to look past these biases to see the good horse underneath. I've bid on an appaloosa and I've called about a cremello because deep down a good horse is a good horse.
... Also there's spray paint (Kidding!)
I'm sure these are all very nice horse and that they have someone who likes them just the way they are. 
So what colors do I like?






I'm a sucker for a pretty bay. There's always going to be some color that just jumps out in our mind, like it or not. So what color tickles your fancy?

And with this space killer post, I (and Sassy, pictured above) bid you good afternoon. 
Mainly I was waiting for the rain to stop.... 

5 comments:

  1. LOVE a liver chestnut w/or w/o chrome...fav color. (like this guy)
    http://tinyurl.com/cdubn6o

    or this Morgan
    http://tinyurl.com/d7olbgr


    2nd would be a dark bay w dapples w/ or w/o white

    This boy, not a fan of his neck/shoulder connection but PRETTY colorz
    http://tinyurl.com/c7q5uof

    really handsome
    http://tinyurl.com/c24dyda

    Sigh...not dappey. but awesome-sauce
    http://tinyurl.com/bnmdcas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a horse with some dapples! We've got a little bay paso fino who's just covered in them in the summer. Also man that liver chestnut is one good looking boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Royal Hit...yeah hes stunning...**sigh*** really well bred Oldenberg stallion.

    Paso's are cute! Rode one once, fun little character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree!! Pink eyes look gross. And I have enough trouble with Annie getting sunburned as a palomino-- I can't imagine the hell one of those guys would be. I also dislike flea-bitten greys--- they always look dirty. And duns. Duns look... mouse-colored.

    Favorite colors: Dapple grey, buckskin with no white, true black, bright red bays with big black socks and no white.

    True story: I have never owned a horse that was one of my favorite colors. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, I know the feeling. I love the dark dapple greys but I've never owned one. I've owned a lot of colors though now I think about it.
    Bucksin, Palomino, grey/'white', pinto (bay and white, chestnut and white and grey and white, bay (many variations, black, sorrel, chestnut, black roan, liver chestnut, grulla, and red dun.
    My goal for a while has been to get a dapple grey as a project. It just hasn't happened so far!

    ReplyDelete