Wednesday, February 12, 2014

What the hell is wrong with people?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4YY2GXiOLA

Now I've seen this video before, and I don't think I can watch it all the way through again. We can all agree that there's something seriously wrong with this.... I'm sorry but I can't even call her a 'trainer' sarcastically.

The first thing that sets her off happens when she tightens her grip on the lead rope and the horse steps in- as he thinks he's supposed to. Then she punishes him for it- a thing she was clearly waiting for from her exclamation. Then after she finishes 'disciplining' him, she takes a step back- out of the horses space! Which effectively tells the horse, 'hey, you were right to move into my bubble and now I'll move out of yours. What you did was okay and you're allowed to make me move MY feet.' Now I'm sure she "thinks" *Please read that as: I'm not actually sure she thinks at all* that she's told the horse 'what you did was wrong' by her actions with the rope. She hasn't. And even if the horse did somehow get what he did wrong (doubtful) she just told him 'oh, my mistake, you were right this was your space all along!' by backing out of it.

(I scold my mother about this constantly whenever she complains that the horses don't respect her space. They don't respect it because you keep telling them that it isn't your space.) When a horse invades my 'bubble' (and I could write a whole post on the importance of an established bubble) I move them out of it. I don't move, they do.

Anyway, I could talk about what's wrong in this video and with this person all day, but I'm not because I'm assuming that you can all see that she's an idiot who has no business teaching anyone anything. So what I'm going to talk about is what's wrong with the owners.

Seriously, this appeared to be a very well cared for horse, in excellent condition, who was, at least at the time, standing respectfully. This means the handler has definitely cared for or about the animal. Great. So why the hell does he not interfere when this woman gets out of hand? I can *almost* understand not getting in when she pops him with the rope the first time. Almost but not really because I'd have said something. But after that, he just stands by and lets this happen to his horse. Also, what is wrong with everybody else there? You're telling me that NO ONE there had a problem with this 'training method'?

Pardon my language, but what the fuck is wrong with you?! This is *YOUR* horse. The one you promised to protect and care for when you got it. The one you care enough about to take to a clinic to improve on your issues with. This horse belongs to you in multiple ways. This woman has no business interacting with the horse this way, so why not step in and say: "Excuse me, but this is my horse and I do not approve of the way you're treating him. Please find a different means of working with him immediately or return the him to me." That is seriously as nice as I could put that.

I am not that nice. If somebody hit my horse, my Sam, do you know how fast I'd be in their business and standing between them and my horse? I'm not sure there's actually measure of time for that to be honest. He is MY horse, not yours. You WILL treat him in the way I allow. Especially if he isn't being dangerous or aggressive. (If they're actually being aggressive I have no problem giving them a wump with the rope because that is not okay.) Otherwise there is no discussion. This is not open for debate. You can tell me different ways of doing things, but you are not allowed to touch him in this way. I will not be ignored in this.

I've said before that I am generally a non-confrontational person and it's true. Except when it comes to my horses. Why? Because if I don't stand up for them, who will? I'm not going to sit there and think "oh this is awful, I'm so sorry horsey!" and do nothing. I'm going to jump my  behind in there and do something about it.

I guess I didn't always used to be this way... or not as much. But an interaction with a vet from hell changed my mind forever. Long story short, the mare I ended up spending 2 years rehabilitating (yes, she was that bad), colicked. Badly. So I called the vet. We'd been walking her around but she'd occasionally lay down for a few minutes, we wouldn't let her roll obviously but it seemed easier for her to catch her breath. Then I'd ask her and she'd struggle and stand up again because I asked. Well Mr. Vet from hell (the only one open in the area- I already disliked him because of how he handled Sam when he had an eye infection) came out, saw her on the ground and immediately kicked her twice in the stomach. Hard. No warning, no 'can we get her up?' I had lots of help with me as well.

Well it got the mare up, and I was honestly too shocked to do anything. Plus I was panicking and knew he was the only vet.  But honestly, he could have done serious damage to her organs and stomach. Plus she was in pain and that was uncalled for. Then he berated me for talking to her because it was 'childish and dumb' not to mention 'useless'.

Then he shoved a rectal thermometer in, with no lubrication or warning to me or the horse. Unsurprisingly she gave a warning kick. Did I mention this was a horse who came with a kicking problem? And a serious fear of men (she was beat with 2x4's).  It hadn't been a problem in quite some time but I still warned him about it in advance. I'm just sad she didn't get him...  She was fine besides that.

Well then he did some more stuff and waited to see if the pain meds kicked in.

Well then he wanted to treat her with a twitch. I refused and said it was unnecessary and that I could help do the next thing because she trusted me. Sorry but I personally don't think twitches are usually humane (at least not in my experience. I'm sure it can be in the right hands) and I knew this asshole sure wouldn't be.  He tried to ignore me and go to his car, I put my foot down. I'd finally had enough. So I said no again. I also might have said: "So help me god, if you try and put that twitch on my horse and undo all my work, I will take it and put it somewhere VERY unpleasant on your body."

He didn't care for that, to say the least. So he started huffing and turned red in the face and yelled at me. So I told him, in no uncertain terms, to get the hell off my property. His assistance was no longer needed.

We kept treating her and watching her throughout the night. Long and tiring story short, she recovered quite well the next morning and we found a different vet that we adore and who is excellent with all of my horses.

But that was my last straw when it came to people handling my horses in a way I deemed unacceptable. And I have never gone back. If you come out and 'cowboy' one of my horses on a test ride, I will tell you that it's time to get off and that this is not the horse for you. Now please leave. I state this in the ad. I may not be a terribly confrontational person, but that doesn't mean I'm a total push over either.

I'll tell you another story, one that I think explains why people allow their horses to be treated like this, by people that the owners think are more experienced with them. More experienced does not necessarily mean that what they know is a good thing.

So I sold a horse to a first time owner. (I've blogged about her before actually. She's also the one that later purchased River- River is not the horse in this story.) She kept the horse at a stable run by some local reining and western event trainers. It was a nice looking and reputable stable and I figured things would be good. Well a couple of weeks in I get a distraught call from her begging me to come out and help her. So I did.

Turns out the 'help' they gave her wasn't very helpful. They worked her in the round pen and continuously hit her with the rope and a whip. She said she'd never seen them do that with a horse before. This wasn't a hard horse to work with and it sure wasn't an aggressive one. Well they also had made it so that now the mare wouldn't go by the round pen with a 50 foot pole. Or the barn; especially not the wash area.

I was pissed off because, dammit, I work hard on these horses. She was incredibly upset because she didn't think that was okay but she knew they were the professionals and thought they probably knew better than her. I told her that it was HER horse and HER money that she was paying them to work with the horse and if she didn't like their methods they could find new ones or she could find new trainers. If you don't like the way they're working with or caring for your horse, you are 100% free to find a new trainer.

She'd never been told that before. (She'd also never been told that riding and horse ownership get easier with time and experience...Can you imagine if riding always stayed as hard as when you started!? Yikes!) Your horse is like your kid; they can't always stand up for themselves when something is wrong so you, as the responsible adult, have to do it for them.

Anyway, we worked out the problems and I showed her a few other ways to achieve the results- no beatings needed.  I don't think she ever asked them for help working with her again though and they purchased a house with acreage and moved a little while later.

So my point is, people all over need to quit being goddamn push overs and stand up for their damn horses if they don't like something. You took on this responsibility now (wo)man up!

Yes, this is absolutely a pet peeve of mine.

See, now this is why I can't ever have kids. Well, besides the fact that I don't particularly want or enjoy being around kids.  I would be the most fiercely protective mother ever. To an unhealthy degree probably because I know that I'd probably like my own spawn, err, kids.

5 comments:

  1. Another idiot giving Natural Horsemanship a bad name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://makeameme.org/media/created/natural-j2uxw4.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I watched the video and here's what I see:
    Horse is in her space (as you pointed out, she basically invited him to be there). Instead of giving him a cue and a chance to fix his 'mistake', she beats the snot out of him. Then he (for some weird reason) won't let her touch his face, so she beats the snot out of him for that too. My favorite part was where she kicked him.

    Real nice.

    My techniques are a combination of natural and traditional horsemanship, but the NH people make me INSANE.

    Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with you if it's your horse then you must stand up for the horse & also make sure,by training the horse,that said horse behaves well.
    As for professionals abusing a horse have been there with my boy . Vet came out & was doing his teeth but was in my opinion getting a bit rough with his handling then he actually was going to punch my pony in the face , yes a vet was going to punch my pony in the face !! I stepped between them sharpish & told the vet to collect his stuff up & piss off then rang the vet practise complained & told them that they were never to send that particular vet to me again & they were to put this in pony's notes. Am very proud that I managed to contain myself & didn't hit him with his rasp , it was close & was beside myself .
    If so called professionals can't control themselves what hope is there for anyone else ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, I think if someone did that to Sam I might be digging a ditch somewhere way out in the country.... Sometimes I hate that self control nonsense. Bah, if a 5 year old can control their behavior so can a 40 year old!

      Delete