Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Guess the auction horses! Now with Answers!

Now I'm sure by now you all know how much I dislike the term 'not a sale barn special' but I also dislike the people that come out and get all snooty about the horses I'm showing being from an auction. Horses that are just like I described them, cleaned, groomed and well mannered. They suddenly decrease in value, in the persons mind, because they went through an auction ring. These same people would have been perfectly happy had I never told them where they came from. But I won't do that because it's kinda shitty and because for most of what I've brought home- there is nothing really wrong with them!

Sure, some of them needed weight or farrier work and lots needed some training. But that's true for  just about every horse I've seen and most I've looked at for sale as well. The thing is, you don't always know their history. Of course, you don't buying a 'regular' horse really either- it depends on the seller. And you can always track down auction horse's histories if you're really determined.... or if the number is on the coggins.

You say: "But I had a bad experience with a horse from an auction!"
Well then maybe you shouldn't pick out horses if you don't know how to do it well, should you? Or buy horses you don't know how to work with? If you can't do that then don't buy a horse from a goddamn auction. If you can, go right ahead. There are lots of nice horses there if you know how to find them. Sure, I've brought home some less than ideal horses.

That's the risk I take and I know it.  That's why you pay more money for the horse than I did. Because I took the risk and I did the hard work. If you are willing to do that, great! Go get a cheap horse. But don't blame me if you pick badly and get a bad horse. If you aren't willing to do that, shut up and pay me the money that this horse is now worth. You're not buying the same animal that I did, I promise.


So, now we're going to play a game called 'guess the sale barn specials!' I'm going to post pictures of horses I've owned (and some I just worked with) and you tell me who came from an auction and who came from a private seller.

Quarter Horses!
1. 
Yes- Sassy- Registered QH mare 

I sent this first picture to my mom saying ' look at the pretty horse I bought!' Her text back was not enthused. I had to convince her that no, she actually will be really pretty, I promise.  Still, this is my favorite picture for why you don't get to pay what I pay. 



2.
Yes. Felix, gelding. 

3.
Yes- Brass, gelding
(Ignore the sandals- I had a broken toe and couldn't wear boots) 

4.
No- Freckles. Reg. QH gelding. Fun side note, this is the QH that almost put me off them forever. 

5.
Yes. Midas, gelding


6.
Yes, Evanna, mare

7. 
Yes, Moose, Reg. gelding

8. 
Yes, River Song, mare
9.
Yes, Loki, Reg. Gelding


Gaited Horses! 

1. 
No. Romeo, Paso x Twh gelding. Mom's gelding that she loved

2.
Yes, Nora, paso fino mare. Mom's mare


3.
Yes, Diablo, possible paso cross? We weren't entirely sure besides gaited. Gelding

4. 
No, Flicka, Tennuvian (TWH x Peruvian paso) mare. She's my hardest challenge ever. Took 2 damn years to rehabilitate and retrain. My most dangerous horse. 
5. 
No, Clutch, reg. TWH gelding. My ex-big lick horse. He'd been a stud and they sored him until he was ruined, he also developed navicular. Eventually I couldn't afford his vet bills and had to sell him. He went to become a pasture pet for a lovely farrier and his wife who drove across the country. He'd been an $18,000 yearling and I believe a $36,000 horse as a stallion. Then they ruined him and he became a $1800 horse.  Such a lovely boy. 

6. 
Yes, Robin, MFT gelding

7.
Yes, Danica, Peruvian cross mare

8. 
No, Silky, reg. TWH gelding. Mom's horse. Was going to be a show horse but his owners went through a divorce and he was kept, as a stallion, in a small box stall for something like 3-5 months straight before being seized or sold I think. 

9. 
Yes, Danza, peruvian paso mare. The horse I would have loved to keep for myself forever. 

10. 
Yes, Lacey, TWH mare. Was registered but they got burned in a house fire. 


11. 
Yes, Clover, MFT or standardbred  mare
12.
Yes, Fiona, TWH mare
Check out those pancake feet and lovely abscess 




Paints!

1.
Yes, Sugar, possibly gaited, mare

2. 
Yes, Honey, MFT mare. Actually she should have been with the gaited horses, woops. 

3. 
Yes, Ice, paint gelding

4.
Yes, Cowboy, paint gelding

5.
Yes, Kota, paint gelding

6.
Yes, Little Bit, paint pony mare

7. 
Yes, Blue, Reg. Paint gelding
8. 
No, Renegade reg. paint gelding. He actually belongs to Honey and Rivers owner- and he's for salleeee.


Arabians!

1.
No, Amir, Reg. Egyptian Arabian Gelding. I got him free in exchange for training fees. 

2.
Yes, Arya, arab mare possibly twh cross

3. 
No, Katie, Reg. Egyptian Arabian mare. She was the one I got Amir in exchange for working with. 


So give me your best guesses! Write yes or no (yes you think they came from the auction or no you don't think they came from an auction.) Now some of these you guys will probably know if you've been here a while but guess anyway! I'll post the answers in a day or two- or less depending on how quick I get responses. 

Also as a fun side comment:
You're going to see a horse for sale earlier than your scheduled time. What you think will happen: you catch the seller drugging or lunging the horse to calm them down and wear them out. What really happens: You catch the seller and the horse in the middle of eating.

 Now I get the reason people sometimes show up a half hour early, but a solid hour? An hour before the time that I previously double checked with you on?! Contrary to popular belief, I do actually have things to do.  You have my number, if it was actually an accident a bit of warning would have been nice. I could have been in town or in the shower. .... or eating my goddamn lunch! And you could at least apologize for being early- even if it was intentional, because that would make me feel better.  (I get grumpy when I'm hungry) This is why I always groom my horses well in advance (and then hope they don't go roll) because there's nothing attractive about coming to see a gross muddy horse.  

*Grumble* Damn dishonest sellers ruining things for everybody else... *grumble* 



4 comments:

  1. I am not even going to try to guess, it's impossible. They are all beautifully presented, I think I recognize a couple of them though. Can I choose number 6 of the gaited ones for me? He's gorgeous.
    It is amazing how prejudice people can be against action horses. My favorite grouchy old gelding of about fourteen years now came from an auction as an ugly two year old.
    My mom purchased a rescue horse from For Ever Morgans that came through an auction, it would never occur to me that he should be worth less because of it. ( http://neversummer.nitebreeze.com/?p=476 ) He is sound with great manners and fun to ride.
    At least one of the ladies at her barn had a fit because horses wind up at the auction or rescue for a reason. Why would my mom bring a horse with such obvious problems to the barn? He is winning her over but she is trying to figure out what his hidden issue is. (I could tell her of course, it's that he is twenty and can't travel like the Amish need anymore, but she doesn't seem to get that one)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Red Robin! A lovely, but rather spunky, Missouri Fox Trotter gelding. Sweet but he'd been trained to be a robotic reaction horse and became people shy/hard to catch. He did get better though. Yep, sometimes It's the simple things. They're a little old. They're too spunky or too laid back. They were traded to a person who said they'd give them a good home and then didn't.
    Whenever people give me that 'ew auction horse' look I tell them my own personal horse, and my mothers, are from the auction. I've had my horse for about 10 years now and have him tattooed on my body. Mum's had her horse for about 5 years now, and yep, we still like her! Seriously, there are about 60+ horses that go through just one sale a month there's no way that all of those horses have something horribly wrong with them.... well, besides an asshat of an owner that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already know two of them came from the auction because I read about them! But... I'm tempted to guess all of them. There's no reason any of those beautiful horses couldn't have come from an auction. (I once sold a horse at an auction and as far as I know he ended up in a good place.) Obviously once they've been with you for awhile they turn out shiny and fit and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how they turn out looking like horses once they've had good care. Although I don't think Blue looks fit so much as fat. Anyhow, I'll post the answers

    ReplyDelete