Saturday, February 8, 2014

Guess what?

I finally sent off my letters to places abroad yesterday!

And guess what else? I've already gotten Three replies back! One saying they're very busy over the weekend and will get back to me on monday but thanking me for applying (very understandable) one other was from the one I was least sure about getting into. They said yes! And the other was from the place in Spain that has Paso finos. So if nothing else, (although I have somewhere around 45 backup options pinned)  I'm going to France and Spain!

France has a riding stable and club, and did I mention they have Lusitano's? You know, that breed that just so happens to be one of my top favorites? (Much like the lovely paso's- okay, let's face it, I'm a spanish horse type of 'gal.)
This stunning breed? 


Here are some pictures of the nearest towns for the place in France:



This is the 'general area' these towns are located in. 
I'm drooling already. 

Anyway, I'm crazy excited! 




Apparently people who are willing and able to work with difficult horses and do muck work in exchange for food/board are in high demand, which is not terribly surprising. In fact both places have already asked how long I can stay for. I'm skyping with them this week to make sure we're all compatible. 

Now the really annoying thing is the goddamn schengen agreement. (You can enter any of the European countries (except for the UK and Ireland) with the Schengen visa (or if you're from the US) for a total of 90 days within a 180 day period.) Which is absolutely amazing if you only want to stay for 90 days. but if you want to stay beyond that... Too dang bad! There is no long term tourist visa or working holiday visa that applies for all the countries and not just one. 

Which is a problem because I want to spend a month in Spain, France and Italy (Ireland counts separately thank god) so that takes up my full time. Which sucks because I want the option of staying longer or returning to a place that I really click with. Aaannd because I'm considering Denmark. Because riding Icelandic horses and paso finos on the beaches while taking out horse treks would be just awesome. And because I want a break from all the learning/serious stuff.

So my current options are... well limited, whatever happened to stories of people backpacking through Europe for a year? Filthy liessssss. So right now I'm thinking I might have to apply for a long stay visa in a country or two just for the option. Also because then it wouldn't apply to my 90 days... I think. The internet is very confusing on this point. 

But really Europe, why the heck don't you have a long stay tourist visa?  

*Sigh*

Anyway, I'm thinking I'm going to take up walking when I'm there. I'd love to take up jogging but my heart thing makes it difficult. I have a very rapid and irregular heart rate. My resting rate is about 100-115. Walking it's at least 135. Which is not helped by the fact that I am also not in awesome cardiac shape. I loved running when I was younger. I think I would again if I didn't feel like my heart was going to explode. 

So, walking and other forms of exercise might have to do. I'd take up biking if I had a way to take the bike with me to all the places. In related news, Squats! Squats for everybody!  I'm doing a 30 squat challenge (Today I did 120) I can also do several 1 minute planks now! (This is exciting for me, shut up.) 
Why am I doing a squat challenge you ask (in my mind  at least)? Because like I said, I decided to live in riding breeches and because I'm going to end up posting a lot abroad. Or sitting a trot, and all of these things will be more helpful with totally rockin' leg and butt muscles. 

2 comments:

  1. Now, I'm just throwing shit out here but...
    how long could you stay if you married a European? Ya know, in NAME...

    Okay, OK. OK. Clearly I am not serious and have been watching too much TLC TV (90 Day Fiance crappola, anyone? What, don't judge me, it is going down to minus 38 degrees Celcius here tonight).

    On a more serious note, airfare is the least of expenses; if you were to offer your quality of services to my place for MERE room & board, _I_ would be HAPPY to have you back again for the cost of a return flight.

    Goddamn that Schengen dude, it would serve those Germans right if you were to find him and MARRY him.
    Huh? See What I did there? Huh?
    Oh Crap, it has been cold here for waay too long.. .'-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! No judgement, I've seen it too.
    Well The Boy is living in England for two years but I don't think he counts... I also think he'd have a heart attack.
    Hmm, if I married Schengen I could take over Europe! (In my mind anyway) And take all the pretty horses!

    ReplyDelete