Thursday, October 9, 2014

"Fun" horse survey

These are a few Questions I found online. Let's get to know one another! Bonding and feelings and what not!


1. How old were you when you first started riding? I got my first pony, Flame, when I was four. He was a 6 month old stud colt. It was not wise. Apparently 4 year old me wanted The Black Stallion and my parents said ' okay! well, how about a red colt?'

2. First horse ridden? ... I can't remember but there is a picture of a very tiny me sitting on a big bay horse that I think my family used to own.

3. First horse cantered on? Flame.. or my sisters horse Star.

4. Have you ever ridden a pony? Riding one right now, and he's doing great.

5. First Horse fallen off of? .... I can't remember that far back. Let's assume Flame the wonder pony.. who developed a rearing problem.

6. Most recent horse fallen off of? Hmm...  Oh, a horse in Spain named Twiggy. She was very round and we were riding bareback on the trails. I stuck it through the bareback race fine, but I slid off when the sneaky bugger suddenly swerved into the grass.  I reached down to pull her head up (bitless horse problems) and just as I did a car drove by and spooked her and off I went.  I just started laughing.

7. Most expensive horse you've ever bought? I think $2,000. Maybe? Maybe less? Either Clutch or Pepper. Now the most expensive horse I've sold would be Morwen for $5,700 total. Still wish we hadn't sold her.

8. First horse jumped with? I hopped over some logs growing up with my sister's horse Star, but an actual jump in an arena... A mare named Flicka. The one that ended up sending the instructor to the hospital in the next lesson.

9. First horse who ran away with you? Flame. He liked to do that. Amazing how many problems a horse can develop when raised by people who don't know what they're doing.

10. First horse that scared the crap out of you? Star.

11. First horse shown? Hmm.. None really, but I guess that would we can say Italy. Dressage to music in Renaissance costumes. Competitive show? Never.

12. First horse to win a class with? N/A.

13. Do you/have you taken lessons? Yes. Some truly awful ones growing up and some good ones recently in France and Italy.

14. First horse you ever rode bareback? Flame... I'm getting sick of answering with him.

15. First horse trail ridden with? Same as above... Think of better questions random survey maker! Screw this, I'm changing some of these questions.

16. What do you feed your horses? Bermuda hay (round and square) and normally purina strategy healthy edge.

17. Do you ride English or western? Both, but bareback is preferred. I suppose Western although I've actually had more English lessons.

18. Least favorite horse color?  Probably perlino or cremello. Sorry, I just don't care for them.

19. Ever been to horse camp? Nope.  Why pay to ride someone else's horse when I could ride my own? I did do two 50 mile trail rides in Montana when I was 8 and 9. Does that count? Let's act like it counts.

20. Ever been to a riding clinic? I think I've been a spectator at some. A few big names which I can't for the life of me remember.

21. What is your favorite discipline? Goddamn problem solving.  I just made it a discipline. Deal with it.

22. First horse leased/part board? Never had to. Did have to board Sam at Victory Stables, when I worked there, and then with a local horse owner after they closed down. Otherwise we've always had land.

23. What is your favorite color horse?   I'm partial to buckskins. Also blue roans and bay roans.  And true black horses. And Bays.  And some duns, oh, grulla.  Some paints... Welp, that turned out less specific than I thought. Mainly I like good conformation.

24. Number of horses you've personally owned? 38. I put this in because I actually just counted and named them all. ... I think.

25. What breeds have you owned?  Oh lord. Welsh, Haflinger cross, TWH, AQHA, APHA, MFT, Paso fino, Peruvian, Tennuvian, Friesian cross, spotted draft, Arabian, American Warmblood. Possibly more.

26. Ever competed in pony games/relay races?  Only for fun.
Yes, my horse is amazing.  I know it. 

27. Worst horse related accident? Breaking several vertebra in my back. I've also broke my nose a few times.  There was the time I thought I was paralyzed, but definitely my back.

28. Worst horse related scar? Hmm. Well, I've got a gross purple hypertropic scar on my knee from falling on asphalt after trying to stop someones horse from bolting... I was missing a nail on my broken big toe after my horse stepped on my foot and pivoted... and yes, I was wearing shoes.  But  I have to give it up for the painful keloid scar on my back. Sam tossed me into some old barb wire. One cut  went keloid. People kept asking me if it was a tumor. I had it surgically removed and had to have a years worth of steroid injections to keep it from coming back.

29. Have you ever barrel raced? Not seriously.

30. Least favorite horse breed? I've always said appaloosa, but lately I've had a 'craving' to buy a flashy appy. Who knows.  Otherwise I don't know that I really have one. I prefer to stay away from Arabians and Tb's but that's mainly because they can be harder to sell and I like my smooth gaited breeds.

31. Favorite gait: I love a nice canter or corto.

32. Ever cantered bareback? Yes

33. Have you ever done dressage? Only lessons

34. Favorite gaited breed?  Peruvian paso

35. Have you ever mucked a stall? Are you freaking kidding me? Do I even have to answer this?

36. Ever been bucked off? Yes.

37. Ever been on a horse that reared? Several

38. How many horses do you have right now? 4. Well, 3 if we consider Nora to be mom's. Hopefully it'll be 5 tomorrow... knock on wood.

39. Do you wear a helmet? All the time.

40. Favorite breed?  Probably going to give it up to Friesians on this one. Morwen was just such an awesome horse. But I do also really love Peruvian Pasos.

41. Have you ever ridden at night?  Sam and I enjoy night riding.

42. Do you watch horsey television shows? No, same with horse movies. They're terrible. I cant stop yelling at them. "WHY THE HELL IS YOUR GREEN 7 YEAR OLD RIDING A WILD MUSTANG?!"

43. How many saddles do you own? Uh, 5?

44. Have you ever ridden without anything/tack? Yes. It usually doesn't end well.

45. What horse breeds do you currently own? A Heinz 57 or a "Good horse" (Sam), Welsh pony (Rambler) Paso (Nora), Spotted Draft (Brea)

46. Have you ever been trampled by a horse? Unfortunately.  I was leading a big TWH across a creek, stupidly I tried to pull him across it. I tripped just as he jumped. He landed on my back, right where I'd broken the vertebra.  He was a champ and made sure to not put his whole weight on me though. I think I still have a hoof shaped scar on my butt. Very sweet horse. He was the one who big lick ruined.

47. Have you ever been bitten?  Yes. And I have a zero tolerance policy on biting. We do not bite. We also do not charge or kick.

48. What kind of trailer do you have if any and what do you use to pull it?  2 horse stock trailer, big suv.

49. What kind of saddle do you ride the most in?  My Abetta stealth manta flex tree saddle. Extra cushion seat.

50. Preferred bit? D ring snaffle or  full cheek snaffle.

Alright fellow horse bloggers, it's your turn. Let's learn about you. Or something.  Feel free to tweak questions.. I sure did.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. How old were you when you first started riding? 11

    2. First horse ridden? An ancient paint mare named Gigi

    3. First horse cantered on? Magic, 20 yr old bay mare. aka The Prisspot

    4. Have you ever ridden a pony? Yes

    5. First Horse fallen off of? Carley dumped me at my first horse show

    6. Most recent horse fallen off of? Carley. We were on a trail ride and all of a sudden these three idiots and their 10 BARKING DOGS come out of the woods (they were trespassing). Carley pivoted around and took off before i even knew what happened. Then she veered off the path into the woods and a branch knocked me off. We met up back at the barn...

    7. Most expensive horse you've ever bought? Never bought a horse

    8. First horse jumped with? Zan, lesson horse

    9. First horse who ran away with you? Annie, black and white paint mare.

    10. First horse that scared the crap out of you? Carley

    11. First horse shown? Carley Competitive show? Never.

    12. First horse to win a class with? N/A. same

    13. Do you/have you taken lessons? Yes, for three years before leasing a horse

    14. First horse you ever rode bareback? Carley (I lease her)

    15. First horse trail ridden with? Gigi

    16. What do you feed your horses? Bermuda hay and Total Feed

    17. Do you ride English or western? Both

    18. Least favorite horse color? Palomino, its an overrated color

    19. Ever been to horse camp? Yeah and it sucked

    20. Ever been to a riding clinic? no

    21. What is your favorite discipline? Its not really a discipline but I ride on a flag team. I guess western

    22. First horse leased/part board? Carley

    23. What is your favorite color horse? Paints, especially sorrel paints

    24. Number of horses you've personally owned? 0 but I've leased Carley for 4 years and I will buy her one day.

    25. What breeds have you owned? none unless you count Carley. Paint

    26. Ever competed in pony games/relay races? Not really

    27. Worst horse related accident? Carley dumped me in some really hard ground and I fell really bad on my head. Got a serious concussion. I've been pretty lucky overall though. No broken bones.

    28. Worst horse related scar? Ive mostly just gotten lots of bumps and bruises that have gone away. Still feeling the effects of that concussion though, its been a long year with lots of headaches and doctor appointments.

    29. Have you ever barrel raced? Just for fun, never competitively.

    30. Least favorite horse breed? Arabians

    31. Favorite gait: A lovely, relaxed jog.

    32. Ever cantered bareback? Yes

    33. Have you ever done dressage? A little

    34. Favorite gaited breed? TWH

    35. Have you ever mucked a stall? Never.... jk every day.

    36. Ever been bucked off? Yes.

    37. Ever been on a horse that reared? Several

    38. How many horses do you have right now? 1

    39. Do you wear a helmet? Not as much as I should.

    40. Favorite breed? Paints

    41. Have you ever ridden at night? Yes, flag team night practices.

    42. Do you watch horsey television shows? Not really.

    43. How many saddles do you own? 2

    44. Have you ever ridden without anything/tack? I've tried.

    45. What horse breeds do you currently own? I lease a paint

    46. Have you ever been trampled by a horse? No just stepped on.

    47. Have you ever been bitten? Yes.

    48. What kind of trailer do you have if any and what do you use to pull it? I don't have one but for flag team we have a huge stock trailer that fits 11 horses and pull it with a 3500 Chevy.

    49. What kind of saddle do you ride the most in? My TexTan western saddle

    50. Preferred bit? this http://www.smithbrothers.com/fg-antique-low-port-futrty-bit/p/X3-01185/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, the prisspot! I love that name! Also I hope you get Carley as your own, you sound like a good team

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad someone finally did this, so much fun but who wants to go first.

    1. How old - Baby, mom put the car seat on the hood of the car, got on then picked me up.

    2. First horse ridden- Sass, grade Morgan gelding who was my moms first horse she got as a teenager.

    3. First horse cantered on- Probably Sass

    4. Pony- yes

    5. First fall off- Definitely Sass my brother and I at the same time. I landed on top and love to ride. He landed on bottom and would not ride again for a long time.

    6. Most recent fall off- Coyote my good old horse. We were working cattle bareback and he turned after them a little too well. Slid off the side he stopped and waited. Only time ever off of him.

    7. Most expensive- 1500 I think.

    8. First jumped with- Maybe Nate? crazed Morgan gelding, love of my life through high school.

    9. First run away- Tally. My moms green five year old that I was desperate to ride, when I was four

    10. First scarey horse- Should have been Tally

    11. First horse shown- Tally, both much older but not a clue what we were doing

    12. First show win- Jerry my beautiful gaited Morgan Mare. She was awesome in ranch horse competitions. A great cow horse and reiner.

    13. Lessons- Yes, love them

    14. First horse bareback- learned to ride bareback didn't own a saddle till middle school

    15. First trail horse- Sass

    16. Feed- grass, grass hay

    17. English or western- both, right now mostly bareback

    18. Least favorite color- paint?

    19. Horse camp- no

    20. Clinic- yes, same as lessons. Love to learn

    21. Favorite discipline- So hard, so many. Love dressage, reining, cutting, working cow horse, would like to try western dressage, enjoy training, trail riding, ranch type cattle work, much different than arena stuff

    22. Lease- Never

    23. Favorite color- Currently sorrel with flaxen. What ever color my current favorite horse is

    24. Horses owned- Hard, 10ish?

    25. Breeds- Morgan, quarter, Paso, Mustang, grade, Suffolk quarter cross, Suffolk Saddle bred cross ( he was huge and awesome) I think I must have owned more than ten

    26. Gaming- In Four H

    27. Worst Accident- Moving cattle we had to go under an iron railroad bridge and over a creek. I crossed at just the wrong place and my horse (Nate) jumped. Hit the bridge with my head and shoulder. I rode for the rest of the day, shouldn't have. Shoulder didn't work right for the next decade my head probably still doesn't

    28. Worst scar- Nothing really bad. One on my wrist where I was closing a metal gate in a barb wire fence and my horse ( Nate) started to walk off. I reached for the reins and sliced my wrist open on the wire.

    29. Barrel race- No

    30. Least favorite breed- ?

    31. Favorite gait- Can't choose

    32. Canter bareback- yes

    33. Dressage- Lessons

    34. Gaited breed- Morgan

    35. Mucked a stall- seldom

    36. Bucked off- yes

    37. Reared- yes. Over backwards in front of a large crowd of course (Nate)

    38. How many horses- three

    39. Helmet- I bought one does that count?

    40. Favorite- Morgan, have tried and enjoy many others but kept coming back to what worked for me

    41. Ridden at night- Yes, Nothing like checking cows at night horse back during
    calving. Need to make sure they are good with spot lights first.

    42. Horsey TV- No

    43. Saddles- 3

    44. Tack-less- Once, my overly smart gelding who I can ride all day without touching the reins laughed at me and took off into the barn

    45. Current breeds- Two Morgans my good old overly smart gelding and the mare I used to show and a twenty year old Paso who I hope will be my daughters horse. Once she gets old enough to ride.

    46. Trampled- No, had one land on the back of my leg

    47. Bitten- yes

    48. Trailer- Don't have on right now. Borrow the in-laws stock trailer and pickup when I need one

    49. Saddle- I love my custom wade, right now the saddle I ride most is bareback.

    50. Bit- Whatever the horse likes best

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. How old were you when you first started riding? 8 or 9, but more seriously when I was 11.

    2. First horse ridden? Not sure, there is a picture of me around 5 or 6 on a big OTTB that belonged to a family friend.

    3. First horse cantered on? A chestnut mare that belonged to my swim coach, on a longe line. Without a longe-line, probably Danny, chestnut TBx gelding, the horse I started lessons on at 11.

    5. First Horse fallen off of? Danny, the first time I tried to canter him.

    6. Most recent horse fallen off of? my mare Evie, although I like to think of it as a controlled dismount. First time I got on her she kicked the mounting block and spooked herself, and I decided that staying on would just scare her more. I just stepped down while she was moving and landed on my feet.

    7. Most expensive horse you've ever bought? Technically Evie, since she's the only horse I ever bought, but she was only $600 and I only paid half.

    8. First horse jumped with? Trigger! Good old quarterhorse/pony mare that I took lessons on after canter-fail on Danny.

    9. First horse who ran away with you? Danny? While cantering? We were still in the arena but I definitely didn't have control! Otherwise, probably horse who's name I can't remember, black Irish TB, we were cantering in the soccer fields and he just... kept going... and got faster... and faster... more fun than scary, I eventually circled him down.

    10. First horse that scared the crap out of you? I had the advantage (stupidity?) of been fearless when I was younger, so, I can't recall being really, truly, afraid for my life, until my current BO's studcolt tried to stomp me earlier this year.

    13. Do you/have you taken lessons? Yes, lots!

    14. First horse you ever rode bareback? Silky. My heart horse. Chestnut Morgan mare that I rode in highschool.

    15. First horse trail ridden with? Silky

    18. Least favorite horse color? Probably perlino or cremello, same as TT. Pink skin always sunburns, and I've gone off blue eyes.

    23. What is your favorite color horse? Silky was a flaxen chestnut with wide blaze and stockings, but I'm also very fond of buckskin, but my current mare is blood-bay, and black is really striking, and I've always wanted a paint horse... anyway. A good horse is never a bad colour.

    24. Number of horses you've personally owned? 0.5

    25. What breeds have you owned? My current mare Evie is a Paso Fino (registered name Evangelea Ltd.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 26. Ever competed in pony games/relay races? Yes!

    27. Worst horse related accident? Probably when I fell off over a drop-fence on a cross country course. Eventing isn't really my thing.

    28. Worst horse related scar? Nasty appy school-horse bit my face while I was petting him over a fence. To this day I can't figure out why he did it. I have teethmarks on my right cheek, but they've faded, that was over 10 years ago.

    29. Have you ever barrel raced? Not seriously.

    30. Least favorite horse breed? I'm not partial to TBs, crummy ones are a dime a dozen where I am, but I've also ridden some nice ones, so it just depends on the horse.

    31. Favorite gait: Also canter or corto. Evie's corto is smooth as silk.

    32. Ever cantered bareback? Yes

    33. Have you ever done dressage? Lessons and I did acceptably well in shows in highschool.

    34. Favorite gaited breed? Paso Fino.

    35. Have you ever mucked a stall? This is my life.

    36. Ever been bucked off? Yes.

    37. Ever been on a horse that reared? at least 2.

    38. How many horses do you have right now? 0.5

    39. Do you wear a helmet? All the time.

    40. Favorite breed? Morgans. Considering a Morgan/Paso Fino baby from my mare... of course I need a foal like a hole in the head.

    41. Have you ever ridden at night? me and the girls I took lessons with used to sneak rides at night bareback in the pasture after we turned out our horses in the winter.

    42. Do you watch horsey television shows? No! I feel you TT

    43. How many saddles do you own? 2, and yes, I own half a horse, and two saddles. Don't get me started on bits or bridles.

    44. Have you ever ridden without anything/tack? Hmm, closest would be in just a halter.

    45. What horse breeds do you currently own? Paso Fino

    46. Have you ever been trampled by a horse? Not exactly, but I was crushed between two percherons by a rider who couldn't control her horse, (who was herdbound to my horse). I was standing on the ground and blocked by some jump standards. In hindsight, I could have just ducked under my horse's belly, she was tall enough!

    47. Have you ever been bitten? See above re: nasty appy.

    48. What kind of trailer do you have if any and what do you use to pull it? Nope.

    49. What kind of saddle do you ride the most in? Supra dressage

    50. Preferred bit? loose ring snaffle, or loose ring snaffle with bean (kk ultra I think)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apparently my answers were too long even after I took out the boring questions :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete