Thursday, February 21, 2013

Go in your dang stalls!

Well, my week has been a delightful cocktail (unfortunately not literally) of thesis deadlines, mad studying for an exam over stuff I don't fully understand (screw you cognitive neuroscience- I signed up for sensation and perception!) and freezing rain. Last week it was sunny 55+, this week? Freezing rain and slush.

Of course my horses have to be dummies and refuse to go in the nice stalls we built them, instead they just stand shivering in the icy rain until I chase them down and blanket them. My mothers horse is the worst offender- she refuses to go in, has a weak winter coat, shivers like crazy and yet she does not want to be blanketed. My gelding HATES water and rain with a fiery passion so he's pretty good about keeping dry but he also hates being alone... We can always tell when it's raining because Sam will take off back to the barn with his head tucked. Kota has decided he thinks stalls are awesome.

Anyway the interaction went something like this:

Me: "Here fatties!" *Kota comes running* "Blankets for everyone!" *second horse immediately says 'I'm out upon seeing the blanket'* 
I tromp through the mud to bring them up.
Nora: 'No! I don't wanna and you can't make me!'
Me: "Dammit horse just come here! You'll thank me once you're warm! ..... .... .. Okay you probably won't but I don't care"
Nora: 'Lies! You won't put that horse eating blanket on me this time! ..... ..... Oh you have grain? Well why didn't you say so?  *halter* Dammit, tricked again! Doesn't matter. Had grain.' 

Max: 'I'm with my lady friend- blankets are evil! Eh, running is too much work- I give up.' *stands like a perfect gentleman then refuses to leave*

Sam: *comes up then proceeds to fidget around the entire time* 'Are we gonna ride mom? Huh? Yeah? Ride? Go fast? Huh? Ahh rain! I wanna go in, I wanna go in!' 

Me: * Upon realizing that the last available blanket won't fit the last horse I begin my search through the tack room in search of another decent blanket- re-catch a horse that it will fit and swap them. Put that blanket on the last horse. Return inside soaking wet, freezing and grumpy. Complain to mum about the horses not going in the stalls we built for just this purpose.*

Poor Kota, they were being awful to him this past week. Nora and one of my boys (the neighbors couldn't identify the guilty chestnut- Max looked guilty when I came out, but that may just be because I was angry- Sam doesn't really do guilt so that's not helpful.) were being bullies to Kota and pinned him against the fence biting and kicking him- he's got nice huge marks on his neck now. They also managed to break four fucking fence posts in the process. I am so dang sick of replacing fence posts- this is NOT the first time they've pulled this stunt either. Kota is too easy going to fight back which is a shame because one good return fire and they'd back off.

I'm considering investing in a horsey shock collar; I'd save a bunch on posts and first aid stuff.... Bah. I'm still grumpy at them, partially because I had to go home when I should have been studying and put blankets on and fix where they'd ripped them romping around during the last cold spell. We're ordering some new nice waterproof ones- I am way too excited about that.

I've been too busy with school work to do any horse stuff. Oh, we bought two used western saddles for $250 (for pictures since I'm tired of people asking what the hell my endurance saddle is) and I was trying one of them out when the dang fender broke. Needed to be oiled. *sigh* This has not been my week.

No comments:

Post a Comment