Saturday, February 9, 2013

Auction update!


So after I dropped off my mare at her new home, gorgeous by the way, I went to the Beebe auction.

Meeting her new herd in one of their pastures.

Where there were around a whopping 45 horses. 45. There's normally 100-250! It was insane, I've never seen it that empty. Which is great! But it was still shocking. I didn't actually expect to come home with anything since they normally go high then. There was the regular number of people there. Lots of tack. I actually only came home with one new black halter for $4. I regret not picking up some other stuff now.
Anywho.....

Auction report! A short one because I left pretty early.


1.14 y/o 15.2 palomino gelding, looked pretty thin in the pen but not too bad under saddle. Ridden through, said he was gaited. Washy color palomino, nothing fancy but he seemed sweet. Was interested in kids before the sale. $345

2. Fugly sabino/chestnut stud, not ridden through, said he was "broke" but not even led through. Not a single reason he should have his bits. $95  n/s

3. Pinto chestnut stud colt, weanling/yearling, straight shoulder, runty, $40 kb- owner n/s Same owner as above (because gelding is evil apparently!)

3. Pinto yearling stud colt, bay, terrified in the ring. $45

4. 7 y/o Palomino mare, VERY skinny, auctioneer even commented on her condition, not ridden through, bad feet, long backed, looked lame.  $55 TD

5. 3 1/2 year old plain chestnut Twh x Appy. Trail horse. Ridden through, rode okay, no mane, okay build. $210

6. Brown mini stud, scared, tall for a mini, $50 TD/KB

7. Pinto mini mare, mother to above stud, had a cut leg, wild eyed. $65 TD

8. Grey mini mare with dark legs, very irritating whinny. $115 TD

9. Chestnut pinto mini stud, colt to above mare, $50 TD

10. Chestnut 7 y/o reg AQHA gelding. Nervous, not ridden through, said he was broke as a 2 year old then just turned out since. Unspectacular bloodlines, weak neck, bad shoulder, fugly head, long back. $270

11. 2 y/o black Twh x QH gelding(?) short, very pretty long mane, cute socks, should grow up cute if it was allowed to... $55 KB

12. Bay weanling filly, fugly $10

13. 11 y/o bay paint gelding, ridden through. Rode okay, idiot rider kept spurring him and jerking him around. Sweet in the pen. Thought he was drugged at first he was so laid back. Didn't respond to my yelling like an idiot. Then I brought out a carrot and he was suddenly my new best friend, licked my hands. Fine with being touched all over. About 15.1. He err, came home with me... $355.

14. Bay paso fino mare, short, ridden through, 6 y/o. Extremely nervous and jumpy in the pen. I pet her and she jumped a mile. Her rider was clearly walking on egg shells when riding. I normally can't pass up a paso but I let her go since I already found my project. $145 Td? Kb?

15. Tiny fat mini, looked like a little furry pig! Scared but adorable. $75

16.JUST turned 2 years old, grulla gelding. Ridden through. Saddle kept slipping all over the place and the asshat kept jerking it into place. Tried to please. Should be cute when mature Real small though. $165 TD

17. 11 y/o bay pony mare, led through, sold with complete tack. Girl in ring said she bucked, not over speaker, then another kid jumped on. Mare looked pissed and ready to act up. $75 KB

18. 15 y/o chestnut mare, reg AQHA, ridden through, kept tossing her head. Possibly the riders fault. $270

19.  BIG and flashy 16.2 hand Missouri Fox Trotter gelding. Good conformation, lonnnggg legs. Ridden through, nervous. Talked to owner before the sale- wasn't a gaited horse person and got him in a trade. He was my second choice. Said he was kind of hard to catch and he hadn't ridden him. He'd been Amish owned in the past. His halter has started to grow into his face at one point. $450 to private home. Talked to them a little after the sale since our paints were in the same pen, seemed nice.

20. 2 y/o fugly bay. $45 kb



So without further ado, may I present, Kota


When show sheened, he needs some weight. I'm hoping they sold him because they ran out of food and wanted to get rid of the horses before it got too bad. 

I didn't even notice he was branded until I was cleaning him off today! I'm a sucker for a horse with a brand. 

 Trimming his goat beard. He was very patient, clearly used to being messed with. Fine with my spraying show sheen too.
Riding him. He was a little nervous once I brought out the saddle and pad. Seemed like someone had smacked him around before. Slow walk. 


He got a little sour expression wise when I asked him to trot but didn't do anything. He seemed like he was waiting for me to flop all around and spur him, he perked up when I didn't. He's got a super smooth trot.  I expect he's used to a curb bit. Needs a refresher but definitely knows stuff.

He's going to be a goofball when he's warmed up to us and is comfortable. 

Love this picture! The hazing begins!

A close up


Of course. I spend an hour and half grooming him, use show sheen and bath in a bottle, scrub him clean aannnd the first thing he does it run through the mud puddle in the back of the pasture. Max was being mean to him, he's very upset that he took clover's place.

 Sorry Max, but you can't beat that QH stop

Because the mud puddle wasn't enough..... God dammit. What horse rolls when the other horse are still harassing them?! 






Anyhow, he's such a sweetie. He's going to be so happy when he realizes he can come out of his shell. Also he's going to be gorgeous when he's all shed out and gains that weight back. Very happy he came home with us.
His mane makes me giggle.







6 comments:

  1. I like him! You done good picking that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, he's already more cheerful trotting. He's so sweet and laid back that I'm really not sure why someone took him to a sale unless they ran out of feed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi...new to your blog and have been reading a bit. I realize this post if from early February but have to ask....

    No QT of an auction Horse?
    Just threw him in with your other horses to basically fend for himself? No getting to know the other horses over the fenceline or anything? (In a later post you wrote the other horses were picking on him... cornered and being kicked? Doesnt seem like a safe situation for him)

    Not trying to be judegmental, as I said new to your blog, and maybe there is a time line inbetween when you picked him up and when you intro'd him to your herd that wasnt mentioned? if that is the case, maybe clarify it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no he was in QT before that. They all go through it, my horses will work out the pecking order no matter how long they meet over the fence. There are some horses that fit in right away with absolutely no fuss at all and others that still don't fit in weeks later. Unfortunately for Kota, he's the latter type. We still have to put him in the round pen so he can eat in peace.
    We used to let them out one at a time to meet but that actually made it worse- also my gelding will break down his stall door if he's confined when there's a new horse. So now we stand out there and make sure they can't trap them anywhere they couldn't escape or we separate them again if they're getting too aggressive or don't settle down after a few minutes. The whole chasing event was over in about 6 minutes. They pinned him a a week or two after he'd been out with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for the clarification. :)

    ReplyDelete