Sunday, July 20, 2014

Wild Welsh Ponies on the Wye Hay Hill Mountains of Wales

Phew, that was a mouthfull.
Anyway, part two is still delayed because 1. Wales is awesome. 2. I'm on holiday (currently in a 4 star hotel on the sea) with my boyfriends family. 3. Today is my birthday. I'm 24. I feel 40.

So instead of doing a real post, you're getting to see some of the wild/ feral welsh and cob ponies we saw while hiking on the Hay hills. I was hoping to see some of them and I was not disappointed, although they refused to run around for me, I did get some awesome shots.

 I think I've brought home more people scared horses from the auction to be honest although I never did get to touch one of them, I did get within a few feet by going slowly and acting submissive. It was hard to remember that these were feral ponies when I was up next to them; they didn't exactly fit the skiddish, galloping beasties I had in my imagination.


The Stallion

Mare and her young colt




This is My baby. 




The stallion was trying to herd her around. She didn't think much of his idea.

Part of a second herd.


















4 comments:

  1. I want that solid sorrel colt. He's gorgeous. What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow gorgeous! I love the shots of the first (dun? grulla?) paint mare and her baby. How big were the ponies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya made my day.. Thanks for the lovely photos! My little welsh pony mare would fit right in with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic pictures! Isn't it amazing to be standing there surrounded by all those wild ponies? I was in Devon in 1989 and I think I went through at least two rolls of film, just ponies on the moors. They were wild but they were accustomed to humans and just sort of eyeballed us without getting too close. They have a totally different vibe from our backyard critters. You should hang some of those pix on your walls when you get home.

    ReplyDelete