Sunday, March 2, 2014

You know you're a horse owner when:

You see it's pouring down rain and getting colder by the minute- so you rush out to scoop up all the manure before it gets ground into the pasture for ever and becomes 'The Slop'.

You stop watching the Oscars to go into the ice rain (it's not snow, so let's not even pretend) and re-blanket the one horse who doesn't have on a waterproof blanket.

You are ridiculously happy that all of your horses are barefoot right now, so you don't have to pick out ice balls from their shoes.

You climb over the icy fence, by balancing on a half frozen lawn chair, because the gate is frozen shut and you can't open the latch.

You see that the horses still have hay in their bags but you put more in the slow feeders anyway because it's going to be extra cold tonight.

You do all of this with fogged up glasses, in your pajamas (tucked into your tall muck boots), because this is just a part of being a horse owner.

Then you stop wondering why you're more responsible than all of your city friends.

2 comments:

  1. The pyjamas!! Hahah, I do that too, but it bit me in the ass one time...

    I went to let the horses out of the barn @ the crack of dawn wearing *nothing* but a little nightie and cowboy boots. Let all 5 horses out without even noticing the electrician at the top of a REALLY tall ladder. Could have happily made it through the rest of my life with it being his little secret, but as I was pulling the door closed behind me I heard over my shoulder, "You sure do look nice in blue!"

    In my defense, I was planning on going back to bed for another hour and WTH is the electrician doing there at dawn anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Venom, that's worse than mine.. chasing two Arabs down my road at 5:30AM in my light summer PJs one morning and running into the neighbor. ugh.
    or how about climbing over a fence and feeling your way around to get into the barn at 5 AM when the door is frozen shut and no electicity to try to feed. And I'm not young either.
    Horses keep you honest I guess.

    ReplyDelete