Saturday, March 15, 2014

What to pack, what to pack

Okay, so I have already done a trial packing run of both my clothes and my carry on... well, kind of for the later. My suitcase weight is right there at the limit (50 lbs- including the actual bag weight), and while I have a few things I can nix, there's a bit more I need to add.
Now I'm not going to be backpacking and if I go adventuring for a few days, I won't need to bring my suitcase with me. I'm also going to be working so I need some work clothes and riding clothes. (Damn you boots and half chaps! Why aren't you easy to pack and light?)
But I'm also planning on spending possibly a work free month with The Boy in London, so I want plenty of nice clothes as well.

So my question to you, what things, as a fellow equestrian, would you absolutely need to have? A rain coat? Muck Boots? etc.

Also as a general human, at least I'm assuming most of you are in fact humans. If you aren't kindly let me know so that I can sell the story to the news.

Breeches, riding boots and work shirts are essential obviously, but what other things? I know that I am absolutely the type to over pack. Don't look at my closet or dressers- I know I have enough to clothe a small country. Shut up.

 I'm not worried about my carry on stuff, but the actual suitcase. I'm also not worried about size so much as weight. Darn thing.

Also, I'm going to some gorgeous places, do I want to bring my camera? It's a Nikon D5100 and bulky, but it takes amazing pictures and the battery lasts forever. Or do I just want to bring a small, crappier, digital camera? I feel like I wouldn't regret taking it, but damn that sucker is large.

Also what things would you advise bringing and what things would you leave behind? For example, I was going to leave a hairdryer but then I realized my hair looks terrible without one, especially if it's on the shaggy - I haven't cut it in quite a while- side.  So I got a travel one that folds and retracts. It's kind of awesome.




10 comments:

  1. if London is the only place you need decent clothes for get 1 or 2 things you can live in for a week, then go shopping in Primark or somewhere affordable...saves you bringing everything and gives you nice stuff to take home too.
    another trick (if you dont mind your appearance) is wear the heavy stuff to travel, ie wear your boots and halfchaps (even under trousers....hidden...) and wear your heaviest jackets.
    Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to be gone for 5-6 months.

    The places I'm going are pretty nice, most are riding holiday places, so after my 5 or so hours of work is done I'll be hanging out there and exploring the town and stuff. So I want to look cute after work.
    I think I might put my halfchaps in my carry on, idk if I could fit my boots.. I might be able to. I do want to be comfy since it's a long flight but I think I'm going to have room in my non checked stuff- since I can bring a backpack and 'personal item' like a tote...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will your hairdryer even work over there? Isn't the electric different? Can you get an adapter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a travel size dual voltage (US/EU) one- plus I have another voltage adapter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ireland is rainy. We brought horse riding coats and were very thankful we did. Also, tall riding boots that can take the weather worked better than half chaps that get soaked. wool socks. We went in May. Cool and rainy every day. Can you have stuff shipped to/from home as you need it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could, but I'd rather avoid it. I have a light weight but good rain coat packed, I'll be there in August so it should be warm at least.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't bother packing a bunch of nice clothes. Take two cute tops to wear with nice jeans and one fun dress and a pair of flats. That's it. Remember that while traveling it is likely only you who will notice that you wore the same outfit out a few days ago. This also saves you room and $ to be able to pick up something on your travels to wear and bring home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. (contd from above). Even with spending a work free month, you won't really need to lug a bunch of nice clothes over. This is also the excuse you will need to pop into stores not available in the US for that special "London" or "Dublin" or ... skirt and top that will always remind you of your adventures!

    GILTgal. (travelled to 37+ countries over the past 4 decades)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm afraid to say I'm not a minimalist type of girl, I bring two cute tops with me if I'm spending the night somewhere- in case I decide I feel like one style instead of another. I'd be bored to tears of that little variation, I like looking nice even if I'm just sitting around watching tv. I know, I'm a weird horse person. I have a clothing addiction, I'll admit it. My horse clothes are easy, breeches, stretchy work jeans, plain black t-shirt with sweat scraping capabilities.
    On the plus side, I think I'm done packing and have met the weight limit. I might be cheating a little bit (I'm bringing a smaller/'overnight' bag on the plane with me with my heavy riding clothes/boots, and this bag can then fit into my suitcase upon arrival. There's plenty of space left in my suitcase, it's just kind of a dumb heavy suitcase.

    ReplyDelete