Tuesday, January 21, 2014

No deposit, no horse!

This is my motto when it comes to selling horses. I don't do 'holds' without a deposit (it can be as low as $50) because I've had too many flakes. That's one reason. The other reason is crazy people.

Here's the story: I had a beginner/kid safe gaited horse I was selling, nothing spectacular to look at and nothing amazing as far as training (she didn't even turn when I got her). But she was a good natured girl and didn't mind beginners so I had a lot of interest. I had a lot of strange people call about her but one family in particular is ingrained in my mind.

It was a mother and father and their son who I believe was 10-11 years old? Anyway, they came out to see the horse and it's a mark of my girls patience that she didn't toss that obnoxious brat. It was another one of those 'this is why I'm not breeding' moments. The kid would not listen to a damn thing I said or his parents said and he was an ungrateful little twerp.

While I was showing her to them, they ran over the normal time and the next people who were scheduled to see her showed up. So I asked them to wait while I finished up, they didn't mind. The family decided they liked the mare and wanted to do a vet/farrier check. Which is A-Okay by me (so long as you're paying for it). They asked if they could have their vet/farrier come out in a couple of days. I said that was fine. I even said if they could get him out within 2 days I wouldn't let any other people, besides the ones there now, obviously, see her.

Now there's where the problem occurred. I assumed, logically, that if you really like a horse and are serious you put a deposit down OR you accept the risk of the horse being sold. I assumed you would know there are other potential buyers who are interested when you physically run into them while viewing the horse. That should be obvious. Oh, and did I mention the second people had driven down from Wisconsin or somewhere near there to see her?

So the first group left and I showed her to the second people. They really liked her as well but it was getting dark and they didn't get to ride as long as they wanted to. They asked if they could finish viewing her in the morning. I thought that was more than reasonable so I agreed. They came back the following morning, bright and early (ugh), tried her and still liked her. So they bought her and loaded her up to go home.  Honestly I liked them a lot more than the first group anyway.

So I did the nice seller thing to do and called the first people to tell them the other group had taken the horse. I could have been rude and just waited to tell them when/if they called (I've had sellers do that and I think it's awful). I talked to the mother and she sounded disappointed and I apologized for her luck/the outcome.

I figured everything was settled and I could go back to business as usual. Boy was I wrong.

Twenty minutes later I got a call from the father.

Man: "How DARE you sell my sons horse?! He loved that horse! You just broke my wife's heart and my sons heart and it's your fault they can't stop crying! What kind of a terrible awful person does something like that?! " (and so on for several minutes)

Me: "Well, I guess I figured you knew that was a possibility since the other people were standing in my yard watching and waiting for you guys to leave. They drove all the way from Wisconsin to see her."

Man: "Yeah, but I didn't think they were actually seriously interested."

Me: "...They drove from Wisconsin. To Arkansas." (The newer, snarkier me would just say 'Well that's your fucking fault now, isn't it?')

Man: "You promised you wouldn't show her to any other people before our vet could come out! If I'd known that you were going to lie I would have put a deposit down!"

Me: "I said I wouldn't show her to anyone besides the people who were already there. I didn't. They liked her and they paid for her. Sorry but it's done."

*Insert more angry swearing and insults before slamming the phone down.*

I thought that was ridiculous, dramatic and I even felt bad. (I wouldn't now. Not even a little bit. Now I'd probably just say 'sorry, I don't sell to jackasses.') But at least that was over with...  I thought. Spoiler alert- it wasn't.

A few minutes later he called back. Grimacing, I answered the phone.
Me: "Yes?"

Man: "Is it a matter on money? Because we will pay you more than your asking price, today, if you'll sell her to us instead. We want her."

Me: " No, it is absolutely not a matter of money.  I would never stoop so low as to do that to someone! That's awful! I already said they could buy the horse and they paid me for her. I'm not going to cancel that because someone made me a better offer.  That is awful. Then I actually would be a liar. Plus she's already well on her way home with them. She's gone. It's done. Good luck with your horse hunt."

Then I hung up. Thankfully that actually was the end of it. It was still ridiculous and stressful- 17 year old me wasn't nearly as self confident.

So that folks, is the real reason I don't hold horses without a deposit. I say non-refundable but if you have to cancel the sale due to reasons you can't control I'll refund the money, even though I'm out the time I could have used to sell the horse.

I had someone have to cancel a sale because their barn wanted lifetime long proof of vaccinations and vet history. Since I work with auction horses, this was a bit of an issue. I understand their reasoning but how many beginner safe, 12 year old horses for under a thousand dollars actually have lifetime proof of vaccination records on hand? Heck, most of the horses in my area don't even have vaccinations, period.


So that's my story. Sometime soon remind me to tell the story of why I always use a bill of sale/contract! I've got two doozies for that one! Both of which took off years of my life and probably gave me quite a few gray hairs. I'll let you know for sure if I ever stop dying it.



To end it on a better note, here's a photo update on Moose Man.

I finally found  a horse that I don't make look like a runt! Amazing! Except for the part where I forgot the mounting block in the arena....  

His first ride out of the arena- and it's on picture day in a strange pasture with no other horses. Yikes. I was a bit worried. 
But he was actually a champ about it! 
This is what happens when you say the word 'woah' to Moose at a trot. He slams on the breaks- so you better mean it if you say it. 

At the end. Have you ever seen a horse look quite that proud of himself? 
 But he didn't have a single hissy fit the whole time and we walked and trotted! (It's a big deal with him- he used to throw a fit ever 5-10 feet or so. And trotting was asking for a freak out. He's even getting better about my lower leg touching his sides- he's overly sensitive and we've been working on it. ) He's come a long way and I was proud of him too. 

But his expression still cracks me up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment