Saturday, November 2, 2013

Do parents secretly hate their offspring or something?

That's my new theory on why I get so many calls from people with children, who are calling about unsuitable horses. Like, would your speed event prospect, ranch horse that likes to go-go-go be a good match for my 10 year old inexperienced child?

..... No.  No, nope, nope nooooo.

If this was a one time deal I'd brush it off, but this happens with every dang horse like this. The hilarious thing is that it doesn't happen as much with the horses that *could* be kids horses. I don't get it.

Why would you contact me about a horse I specifically say "Is not for kids or beginners"? I had one like this, a greenie that I listed as 'started under saddle' not broke, not even green broke. And I got so many damn calls from parents.
 "Is this horse safe for my 8 year old child with a brain injury?"
.................... ............. ............. Are you kidding me?

I don't get why parents seem to want to endanger their children unless it's a clever ploy to buy them an unsuitable horse so they get scared and no longer want to ride horses, thus freeing up the parents bank account for other less expensive endeavors.
 Yes, yes that must be it.  I like that theory.

Now the horse I'm selling would do fine with a teen or young teen who's had experience for years or even in some speed events. That would be great, they'd have no problem controlling him. But a kid who's under 10? Can't do it. Won't do it. Sorry.

My thoughts on what makes a suitable kids horse (or one I'll put kids up oon) is  leftover from being a trail guide, and I absolutely err on the side of caution, and you know, common sense.

My mother is nicer about telling these people what she thinks, her conversations go something like: "Well, I think you may be better off looking for a horse like -bla bla bla- *insert suitable horse here*"
I tend to be more like: "No."

I need to work on tact or something.

I am happy however, that all my ads say 'I reserve the right to refuse any sale I do not think would be a good fit for either my horse or for you'. Because the first method is trying to persuade people to change their minds is tactful. When this doesn't work we often try the "well, there's a long list of people so I can call you back if that doesn't work out....." When that fails I'm left with: "Okay honestly I don't think it's a good fit." Or if they're an ass (Had one of those already) "I don't like you. You're not getting my horse. Goodbye."

My mothers a little nicer about this than I am. Sorry (not sorry) Mr. not a small cowboy, wants a horse for all his employees who are men who don't have lots of experience (but are required to wear spurs) I will not sell you my horse. No, a 14.1 hand horse isn't suitable for a larger man even if it is a shorter way to fall off. Amazingly, that isn't my concern- and it shouldn't be yours either!!!

Seriously, just go away.

My favorite is when people get huffy and play the 'but it's a buyers market!' card.  Yep, it is. So go buy one of those horses because you sure aren't buying mine!
It may be a buyers market, but I've had enough calls about this horse to make it a sellers market. Good day.

Rant over.

5 comments:

  1. So, if your speed event prospect, ranch horse isn't a good fit for kids how about your possibly former big lick walking horse? She's an awfully pretty color and I would like her for my too small to be riding child. What do you think?
    Oh and I would like her very cheap and free delivery would be nice. Western NE isn't to far for you is it? Do we have a deal?
    Seriously, I do like the look of her but the reality of suitability and distance must come into play here. We have neighbors who bought an unbroke stud pony as a first horse for their grandson. What are some people thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..... I really hope that's sarcasm.

    I'm going to trust that it is, although I have seriously heard that kind of stuff before... I wish I were joking, I really really do.


    I had a 8 year old girl email me about my temperament 6-7 paso fino- for very experienced riders only- and say that she was very pretty and she wanted her very much but only had about $300 so she was wondering if I would take that. (asking $1500) and she didn't have a trailer or tack or anything....
    *head desk* *head desk*

    I admit, my parents bought me an unbroke yearling stud colt when I was four because I wanted my very own black stallion and they knew nothing about horses. Just because they want something doesn't mean they should have it! Thankfully they gelded him but it was still incredibly stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, sarcasm. I've heard the same things though.
    If you weren't so far away I would be interested in the walker. I want gaited and there is really nothing out here but quarter horses.
    Neighbors pony is a black stallion too. Beautiful horse really it makes me sick when I hear about how they are "breaking" it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, well she actually just sold this morning anyway. I'm in QH country as well but the trail riders seem to prefer gaited horses so they aren't really hard to find.

    Poor little stud. :( (The funny thing is, the pony my parents got me was actually a chestnut...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post made me laugh out loud!!

    ReplyDelete