Saturday, January 12, 2013

We can't always get what we want......

So I'm going to complain about some of the dumb "Wanted" ads I see all the time. Now, I guess it never hurts to ask....except when it's on the internet and everyone can see it and you seem like an entitled asshole. Then it does. So here are some ads and  why you can either get a 'custom' horse and pay the price, or you can take a nice non flashy horse for your price range.

Anyway, this all started because my mother asked me what I'd do when I'm finally going to shop for a horse for myself (once my gelding passes away- hopefully a very long time from now. He's between 17-21 and came abused and a body scale of 2.) which really made me think. In all reality I'd probably just fall for one of my rehab projects and keep them. BUT if I really went another way, I'd want a foal or a yearling that either hadn't been messed with or had been messed with in a way I approved of.  It would be kind of nice to have a horse that no one else had the chance to screw up yet. That hadn't had a shitty life... The only way to do that would probably be in utero or from a respectable farm I could go to often until weaning. 


I'd feel guilty bringing another horse into the world but the type of horse I'd be breeding for would be really hard to find at a semi reasonable price once born. 

(Peruvian Paso Stallion- CKG Terosoro)

(I did really want a foal out of this handsome boy- his hair got even longer, he was sweet, easy to handle, show record, well kept and so gentle a child could handle him. He and our paso mare would have made an adorable bay baby if she had only been registered.... or I needed a foal.)


I admit, I'm a sucker for Andalusian's  Friesian's and of course, my Paso fino's and Peruvians. I love hair and spirit and a sassy intelligent attitude. I'd probably have to breed for the Andalusian or Friesian but I wouldn't breed for the Paso- I can find a really nice weanling for well under $3,500. 

Thinking about this I decided to browse horseclicks for those type of babies. Which is where I found these lovely gems- some awful and some not so bad.


1. "I am looking for a friesian,gypsy or an Andalusian. I would like to have a horse the color preferably back and the horse doesn't have to be a purebred but I don't want a stallion. I will take a gelding and I won't go more than 100 miles from my home. I would like a horse that is 2-15 in age. No calls I more than likely wont answer. And I would like a horse as soon as possible." 



And I want someone to give me lots of money and free tack and for people to stop breeding crappy horses as soon as possible but you know what, we have to make reasonable requests.

The price they have listed? $1,000. It’s a good to have an idea of what you want when horse shopping, but if you get too specific, especially if you aren't willing to pay a lot, it's going to make sure you never get a horse.  Especially if it’s a breed that’s popular and flashy that a lot of people want. You want them for the same reason everyone else wants them and that is why they aren't cheap! 
 Also, “I want a horse asap but won’t answer calls” makes you sound rather like an entitled brat. Take that out if you want even a chance of someone replying.  I'm really hoping they're like 14 or something...





Here is an option of a *good* wanted ad that I found.

"Hello, my name is (removed) I'm looking for a horse that needs to fit these qualities:
1. Broke to ride 2. Safe for a youth/beginner 3. Fine around cows 4. Under $500 5. Above 14 hands. Doesn't HAVE to be a Quarter horse. I would ride it around a farm so it needs to be used to dogs, cows, etc. Please comment if you have/know of a horse that fits! I've been looking everywhere and can't seem to find one! Doesn't have to be a gelding, I had to pick one." 

I like this person, they seem young but reasonable and they took the time to proofread- yay! No mention of color, breed, or most importantly age. If you're looking for a kid safe horse under $500, you will probably need to be okay with a horse in its teens or older. I hope they get the horse they're looking for as they seem like a decent home just from the ad. 


I've been seeing the following ad for almost 2 years, and they will never get what they want because it’s well, just a little unreasonable. There are plenty of nice horses out there if people would just get over something like color. You don’t ride color- you ride training, conformation and temperament. 
2. "Wanted Horse Trail, Playday Show Loud Color
Want to buy a Finished, Trail, Show Playday, Trick Or Trail Horse. No Buck,Spook,Rear or Kick. Like Gaited also Bald face overo Blue Eyes but does not have to be. Have Cash for the right Horse. Will have a nice Barn plenty of Hay,Feed and attention. Bombproof Loud Colored.Cal Text or e-mail Pics and Price." 


This is the bad but not too bad one. At least they mention the good home part and don't want a super rare breed and they didn't say under $xxx. It's slightly implied, but you can't have everything without doing some work. In the past they also had gelding and some more things...at least it's getting better? But what's up with the weird capitalization? 



'What do you mean I can't have everything! TV told me I deserved it and shouldn't settle for less!'



3. "I am looking for a friesian that is bomb proof kid safe with a wonderful personality that is wonderful at dressageI want a gelding and I do have a budget so this horse can't be crazy expensive if you have a friesian email me at..." 

 I will say this once- and in all honesty probably many more times-  you will not get that type of horse at that price!  And that is a good thing- it means the market isn't completely dead. You can be super specific and pay a lot more or you can try and find the right horse. Because paying over $14,00 for that type of horse isn't very crazy expensive. 
 I don’t particularly like washy colored sorrels with huge heads, bad conformation and a body scale of -2 but I still bought one and he’s still with me 9 years later and I wouldn't trade him for any horse. Never regretted buying him…. (Okay not entirely true- he’s pulled some pretty bratty acts.) But he fit my price range and eventually filled out into a decent looking boy and great partner who will never be sold.  A good horse is NEVER a bad color. 

4.  “NO HORSE FOR SALE! I am looking for a Friesian Gelding that has all the classic characteristics. Long thick mane and tail, and feathers. Must be broke and a calm temperament! I will not pay a penny more than $2,000! It doesn’t matter if the Friesian is registered  or not. He must not have any vices and be 100% sound. Please contact me if I have your dream horse! Would be willing to trade my QH gelding for the perfect horse!” 


Sure, I have your perfect horse…for about $9,000-25,000….. If you can’t find one within your price range anywhere, there is probably a reason! 

Now in a moment of sheet luck a few years back I actually did find a Friesian cross mare, black, decent amount of hair for $800. She wasn’t super tall and they’d trimmed her feathers for some unknown reason. They listed her locally as a TWH and said she was stubborn, hard to catch, etc mare. I jumped on the phone the moment I saw it and called before anyone else. “I want your mare, I have cash and I can come with a trailer tonight!” He couldn’t show her until Monday- longest weekend of my life. Filled with calls saying “You haven’t sold her yet right?! We are REALLY interested.” He told me a whole list of faults: high strung, didn’t stop, bolted, barn sour, didn’t turn, didn’t stand for saddling, bla bla bla. I saw a dream project. I said I didn’t care- I've wanted a Friesian for years and have never been able to afford one- I’ll work with whatever. I’m sure I've ridden worse. 


To break up the text, this is the mare. Note the lovely burrs in her hair and huge saddle sores and bot eggs. 



 






 I went and saw her and her main problem (the owner who had no business owning a breed like that without knowing how to work with them) paid in cash and loaded the terrified thing up. Upon bringing her home it became clear that while she needed a tune up, she was puppy dog sweet, willing and followed you everywhere. After her tune up and some training she was beginner safe- throw someone who had never touched a horse on for a trail ride safe- and smooth and responsive.














Finally, NO one is going to trade their Friesian for a Quarter horse. Unless by some chance you have a REALLY nice expensive show horse…. Unlikely. Oh my, a quarter horse, how rare, oh where could I possibly find one of those?! 

It's fine to have ideas about what you want, if you're willing to pay the going price. If you aren't going to do that... well.... You can't always get what you wanttttt (even in a buyers market)!

(No, not even if they make faces like this when you scratch their face.)



No comments:

Post a Comment