Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My entirely brief (nonexistent) show career....

I trail ride and I retrain horses. I've been a trail guide (obviously) and I've worked at several barns, some local, one show. I briefly joined 4H in my youth- and promptly quit after two meetings. I don't show, I guess I've just never gotten that bug or maybe I've just always never cared for the shit that goes on backstage.
I admit, my brief time in 4H pretty much completely drove away any desire. So here's  my story.

I was an awkward home schooled kid at the time who wanted some socialization. I've had horses since I was four (my parent's were the ones who thought it would be a good idea to get their toddler a weanling colt so they could grow up together.
My first pony Flame- Also I'm a natural blonde. Yikes.

When they knew nothing about training a horse or teaching a kid to ride. Genius right? More on that later.) and when I was nine I got bucked off my sisters horse and broke/fractured my lower spine. It chipped but stayed in apparently so I still don't know what's up with that but apparently if I get tossed off in just the wrong way again it can come out. Eek.
Since that injury I developed a love for gaited horses because a regular trot hurt my back. So I finally that decided I'd outgrown my lazy confidence builder TWH and I wanted to show. So I bought an ex show TWH. He cost either $18,000 or $36,000 as a yearling. I can't remember. Great bloodlines, sweet disposition, big and pretty. I bought him for $1,800 (cheap at the time). Just one problem- he'd been shown big lick or padded. They'd ruined his feet. They claimed he was too laid back to be any good in that ring. He'd been gelded three months prior to my purchasing him. That was my introduction to the joys of the TWH world. Once we'd finally worked out a lot of his feet issues, I finally got to take him to a 4H meeting. 






I showed up thinking how awesome it was going to be, after all I had a fancy smancy horse with a real show record. I rode in an immediately realized that my horse was much bigger than everyone else and very different. Everyone else was on Quarter horses or POA's and giving us a major "WTF" look. When they asked for a trot and my horse started gaited- and he wasn't even doing the stupid big lick, he was doing a running walk, the entire arena started laughing. Walkers weren't common in that area yet and certainly weren't shown. Also the English saddle didn't exactly fit the theme. I was embarrassed and all my excitement had died. I was told that people just didn't show gaited horses and I should look into getting myself a nice Quarter horse.
After the farrier bills and constant soakings got too much for me to handle (he was such a gentleman about it too) I had to sell him. I sold him to a farrier and his wife who drove across the country to have him become their new baby and just live out his life eating treats, getting looked after and maybe the occasional light ride. 
After I decided I'd just deal with it and buy my very first QH. 

He was a barrel horse with Colonel Freckles breeding and he was way, way too much horse for me but by gosh, he had the bloodlines the other kids wanted and supported. He started bucking and bolting immediately after I got him- probably my fault and like I said, too much horse for me. This was actually the horse who made me decide showing wasn't worth all the pressure and bullshit- well that and seeing what the TWH had gone through. Not only that but it made me so frustrated that I felt I'd never find the "Right" horse for me and after I sold him I decided I wouldn't get another horse.


Worst time of my life- and I worked at a barn during that time where I could ride their Arabians. After some very serious depression I finally bought the horse who I love and still have, and who would be laughed out of any show ring in existence. You'll get his sad story later, promise.



Sammy a little while after I got him: I thought he was looking *good* here by comparison. 



Sam this summer: Sam absolutely loves kids and wouldn't let anyone else near her. 

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the TWH you had, bright red bays like that are so handsome! Can't wait to hear the story behind your current horse. Hey, your blog needs a "subscribe" button somewhere near the top, so readers can sign up for email updates easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not entirely sure how to make one honestly, any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Go to your Overview page. That's where you have the orange "new post" button in the upper left, and a blue number-of-views chart thing in the middle.

      On the left hand side, there should be a bunch of grey links. Click on "Layout" (it's near the bottom). This should take you to a screen that had lots of light blue boxes. You can move these around to re-arrange how your blog looks. You can also add stuff like the "subscribe by email" button by clicking on a blue "ad a gadget" link. You can also add pics, logos, slideshows, etc here.

      The "layout" button will let you customize colors and stuff too.

      Delete