Monday, April 14, 2014

Perspective

I see rants (and have done some myself) over people standing on horses, having barb wire fencing and doing other generally stupid things. I've complained about them.

I'm going to shut up about them from now on though.

Why?

Because living in Spain has showed me that barb wire fencing seems pretty goddamn great when compared with living staked out on a chain, or living their whole life in a dark, smelly barn.

We call him prison horse.

Chain horse


These are far from the only two we've seen. I've seen several locked in a barn, and even more kept on land the size of the average bedroom. No, I don't mean one horse- I mean 3-4.

I've seen horses ridden by idiotic young men, with huge shank bits, spurs and weighted shoes- cantering and showing off- thought town, on the pavement.

Idiots.

So yeah, I'm thinking most of the horses we complain about really aren't all that bad off after all. It's all a matter of perspective. 

3 comments:

  1. Perspective is an amazing thing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I studied abroad for a year in Granada, Spain and would go riding every other week. And I was shocked at the things I saw. Although things in Spain were still much better than in South America...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, cultural relativism at its finest.

    Your horse is in a 6 acre pasture with barb wire?
    This horse lives on a goddamn chain staked to the ground! If you think leaving a horse tied out to graze is bad.... don't come to spain...

    ReplyDelete